Re: [CH] the 9th open fields, 2007...

JohnT Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:54:55 -0500

Bill,

I agree that it was great.  Only my 3rd in the last 4 & I really enjoyed it.
ButchT and lovely wife Shirley stole the show as far as cooked on site
vittles.  (IMO)  I swiped 3 of his breaded catfish chunk/fillets just before
I left on Sunday and cussed myself out the entire way back to KC for not
taking more.  It was so nice to visit with old friends (like you) and meet
some new ones that I had previously only cyber-known.   I regret spending
all day Sat making my "Fresh From the Fields" entry instead of walking
around visiting and next year will come up with something less labor
intensive than the salsa I made.  I'm so stinking slow at everything that I
do.  Byron looked great in spite of the oxygen tank was dragging around!

I could absolutely live on Sue's habanero/peach ice cream!  "Local Paul" is
a BBQ contest judge you know & what he serves will always be great.  I
missed out on Kendra and Brooke's offering.

The prizes in the lottery/auction were awesome.  I won a bag of Texas pecan
wood chunks that Beth donated.  My fav wood for smoking and BBQ!

Have you ever seen better looking plants?  Nope!  I found a couple of ripe
Bhuts, some beautiful green Spanish Spice and enough ripe habs for my
contest entry and that was all I ever wanted.  We don't go there for the
pods.  The C pubes were heavily flowered and looked like plants should in
May or June.  Never seen better looking plants and a shame will freeze
before producing.  Such a tricky species to grow anyways.  I treat them as a
2nd year producer even though have a few varieties that are 1st year ones.
Thanks to CameronB for seeds of Red Rocoto that he gifted me with at OF.
Gave some to Ian (Horned Fox brand hot sauce in England) to smuggle back to
his home & I'll be sharing with other rocoto fans.

JohnT