Re: [CH] Re: Botulism question.

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:54:59 -0800 (PST)

Yes, but you're talking about using stock in a
less-than-ideal manner, so regardless of the method,
there's loss of some nature, generally flavor.  I've
used high-dollar 'critically acclaimed'
made-from-veal-bones bases and all sorts of other
"convenient" products.  A few are downright tolerable
(although for the non-commercial cook's money, you
might as well go ahead and shell out the bucks to have
someone cook you the whole meal), but most are crap
and few stand up against a stock that's been made over
the course of just a couple hours.

So, if you want the best stock, you make it fresh for
its intended purpose, which while not convenient per
se, can be done with proper planning or even a bit o'
foresight.

Freezing little cubes of stock works for me for quick
use, small sauces, etc..  For soups and high-stock use
items, I just make it fresh.  What I do keep in the
freezer is a big ole container for all my veggie
peelings, ends, etc. (and I generally default to using
a veggie stock anyway, since a good veggie stock is
about as grand as a meat stock anyway, if not better).

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael-o-rama

--- Cameron Begg
<PheasantPlucker@pop-server.columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> At 11:43 AM -0800 2/11/08, Rael64 wrote:
> >Or, if you just gotta have that convenience factor,
> >make your stock and then reduce by at least half to
> >make it concentrated.
>
> OK thanks Rael. Prolonged evaporation by boiling can
> remove a lot of the subtle flavors but it would be
> fine for some stocks.
> --
> ---
>                      Regards,               Cameron.