Re: [CH] Botulism question.

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:05:35 -0600

Cameron,

My freezer is full.  I mean full.  Beef stew and chili I will continue to
freeze after pressure cooking because they taste better reheated that way
and I can use thickeners and also not worry about the fat ratio.

Canning high acid foods is a breeze and there are many, many approved
recipes that you can play with.   There is no better forum for getting
correct advice than the Garden Web Harvest forum.  Some bread baking experts
there too.  (I never dreamed making bread can be so complicated)  I'm mail
you a live sourdough culture when I go to town tomorrow.  I got it several
years ago from "The Friends of Carl" society.
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

----- Original Message -----
From: Cameron Begg
To: Helen Gillis
Cc: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] Botulism question.

Hi C-H's and Helen in particular,

At 7:47 AM -0500 2/12/08, Helen Gillis wrote:
>If you don't want to use up freezer space, why not invest in a pressure
>canner?

Long time no "e"!

We've got one. It is huge. Not convenient for canning a couple of quart jars
of stock. This is why I figured out the alternative boiling water processing
for the jars to stop our house becoming a soup factory! I think the risks
using my method are very very low, but thought I'd run it by you guys for
comments.
--
---
                     Regards,               Cameron.