Re: [CH] Re: Cleaning/Sanitization

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:11:26 -0600

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 02:21:01PM -0800, Tina Brooks wrote:
> Well, I suppose that on that basis, the fact that I love cheese, wine,
> sour cream and the like, maybe a little bacteria wouldn't be a bad
> thing.

If enough bacteria are still alive in the finished product to even
care about, the beer is likely to be undrinkable.

> I watched a show on the Food Network where they were making an ice wine
> and the grapes were covered in a mould. It seemed rather disgusting and
> icky, but, that mould is exactly what made the wine what it is... Is
> that sort of what a "lambic" is???

First, I think I got one thing wrong about Lambics---reading the
style guidelines, it looks like I was wrong about their coming from
the Trappist monasteries.  The Trappist beers fit into other categories,
like Dubbel, Tripel, Quadrupel, Belgian Strong Ale, (this list goes on
and on, and eventually ends up with some Trappist beers not even fitting
into a specific style definition...but then, the style defs have only
been around for, relatively speaking, a few years compared to how long
some beers have been around---we're basically talking decades vs
centuries...and not all beers can be shoved into a style definition).

Anyways, to avoid going too far off-topic again.....  See the following
BJCP Style Guidelines (descriptions) for the full details.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style17e.html     (Gueuze Lambic)
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style17f.html     (Fruit Lambics)

Later,
   --jim

PS:  Hey, what an appropriate randomly-selected .signature.....

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 6.1 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W

   "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of porter poured in a proper
   pewter porter pot.."     --Peter Dalgaard in alt.sysadmin.recovery