Re: [CH] Re: Evil corporate types

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:32:38 -0500

Why am I getting two copies of some e-mails to the list?  Is something
going wrong with the listserv?  Or is it just me?

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 09:47:00AM -0400, jim@wildpepper.com wrote:

> Understanding that, it is entirely reasonable then that Boston Brewery
> goes after Boston Beer under the similarity clause.

Yeah...they're both in Boston.  That's similar, all right.

> The Budweiser suit is quite a bit more complex than can be distilled
> (pun!)

Not a pun.  Beer is not distilled.  Ok, that's not entirely true...but
once it's distilled it's no longer beer, and the "beer" in question is
made a bit differently, etc., and the other brewers here no doubt know
what the end result is...and how yummy it can be with a few drops of
water to bring out the aromas---I prefer a particular Highland brand,
aged for 21 years in oak, and then aged "until it's ready" in portwood.

> Yes- the people in Czech having been making various beers for centuries
> calling any number of them Budwar after the region,

And the other half (the first word) of that name translates to Budweis,
according to what I read on the beer's official site in Czech.

> Budweiser went on to be a recognized world wide mark.

Btw, I was informed (off-list) a bit earlier that, at least in Europe,
if you buy a Budweiser, you get the Czech Pils.  If you want the A-B
beer (the style known as "American Light Lager" ... wait...check that,
it's been renamed now:  per the BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines:
"1B.  Standard American Lager"), you have to order a "Bud".

Btw...also from the BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines:

   2B.  Bohemian Pilsener

   [....]

   Commercial Examples:  Pilsner Urquell, Budweiser Budvar (Czechvar
   in the US), Staropramen     [list trimmed  --jdg]

Just fwiw.

> In an attempt to cash in on this, an enterprising Czech brwery tried to
> recently market a "Budweiser" under the argument that the term had been
> around for years,

It has been.  Budweiser Budvar, along with Pilsner Urquell, are the two
beers who share the title of "the first Pilseners".  German Pilsner
(Pils) came along later, as a modification of the Czech style.  A-B
came along later and adapted the Czech beer to their idea of American
tastes at the time.  They also copied the name.

> *Never* settle for a one paragraph summary you find on the internet or

I'm not.  Sadly, thanks to repeated moves (some of which I was in the
hospital while my stuff was relocated) since my cancer diagnosis, many
of the references (brewing journals, etc.) are missing.

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 6.1 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W