OT: distilled beer (was Re: [CH] Re: Evil corporate types)

Dana H. Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Tue, 03 Jun 2008 09:03:47 -0700

Jim Graham wrote:

> Not a pun.  Beer is not distilled.  Ok, that's not entirely true...but
> once it's distilled it's no longer beer, and the "beer" in question is
> made a bit differently, etc., and the other brewers here no doubt know
> what the end result is...and how yummy it can be with a few drops of
> water to bring out the aromas---I prefer a particular Highland brand,
> aged for 21 years in oak, and then aged "until it's ready" in portwood.

I once found a bottle of bierschnaps at BevMo, made by distilling
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale into a clear 80-proof liquor, retaining and
concentrating the floral hop signature.  I loved it, though I
suspect it's a love/hate sort of of thing.

The distiller is Essential Spirits in Mountain View; they're
no longer making the Sierra Bierschnaps (apparently due, in
part, to branding issues with distribution), but they're making
their own pale ale and distilling it.  Haven't tried the product
yet.

Dana