Re: [CH] Bumblebee Tuna and extracts...

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 04:59:50 -0700 (PDT)

Not to defend anyone's POV (other than my own, of course), but to suggest that "caffeine is caffeine" or the like is a sort of chemist's fallacy.  Following that logic all carbohydrates are carbohydrates, proteins are proteins, and so forth.  Simply put, they are not the same, i.e. identical, no more than "sugar is sugar".

How a thing is processed (made, extracted, grown, etc.) makes a big difference.  Corn fertilized by human waste is different from corn fertilized in cow manure.

The FDA, actually, is quite fond of saying things like "it looks like sugar, tastes like sugar...must be sugar (and safe)".  Hence, the little wiki link that said sugar beets starting this year will be GM sugar beets.

While I don't attribute all the woes of humanity upon diet (generally, we're just stupid, arrogant animals), I do dislike the idea that ingredients are only required to list half-truths, or better said, are not required to tell me if something is GMO, if something, like "modified food starch" has ingredients itself (often it does, such as MSG, which does not have to be listed on a label as 'MSG').

Anyway, honesty.  That's all I want.  From politicians to food companies, that's all I expect.

Obviously, I don't get much of it.

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael64