Re: [CH] OOPS..... :-)

CH2060@xemaps.com
Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:22:04 -0400

Jim,
If I correctly sense where you are going with this, I would suggest
some caution, as I once came to some regret [a story ensues].

Many moons ago (before I was a CH), I decided to make an authentic
Hot and Sour soup (I had an excellent recipe).  I also decided I
had to *make* my own chile oil.  I had bought (along with many other
ingredients) a bag of red chile peppers from the Chinese store
(that was located in Chinatown, Philadelphia, PA). I presume that
these were some form of Cayenne.

Not having any guidance in this aspect, I hydrated them, and began
to saute them in some light sesame seed oil.  I sauteed them for a
long time.  Each time that I went back into the kitchen, I coughed and
my eyes watered. Additionally, I was feeling a little chilly from
having to keep the doors and windows open.

Finally, they reached a dark red-brown-black, I turned off the heat,
and went to bed (I was smart enough to have kept the bedroom door
closed.)

For two weeks I could not invite any normal person to my apartment.
It was three to four weeks before things returned to normal in the
kitchen. I had to cleanse the stove top many times with the strongest
agent that I could find.  And after many trips thru the dishwasher,
the pan still gave an interesting 'flavor' to anything I cooked in it.

Oh, by the way, the H&S soup was most excellent -- better than any
restaurant.  I since have made this soup, but I have never again
made my own chile oil.

AndyB