Re: [CH] List Future

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:17:34 -0500

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:28:09PM +1200, Tony Flynn wrote:

> It seems to me that the list has had problems for many many people as
> it is confusing (to some) and there is  no presence of any person or
> contact [....]

Other than the incorrect e-mail address to use for responding to the
confirmation e-mail request, which I've already posted two possible
fixes---neither of which would take any admin more than about 30 seconds
unless they deliberately type slow...maybe with one finger....anyways,
what besides that is confusing?  It's a simple e-mail list.

Changing to a yahoo group isn't going to change the way it works---you
still send e-mail to an address, and you still get e-mail sent to
you...the only thing that changes is the sign-up procedure, which still
requires a confirmation e-mail, but also requires you to pull out a web
browser, setup a yahoo (or whatever) account so you can log on, log on,
go to the groups, and modify the settings to behave like normal e-mail,
change it to use your e-mail address instead of the one Yahoo forced
you to create (I already had one from when I was without my Internet
connection for a long time after cancer hit, but that's another story),
and even that ability isn't obvious...when you sign on to the list, it
assumes you want e-mail sent to the yahoo address it forced you to
create.  If you don't, it doesn't ask you, and it isn't in your config
settings for your yahoo mail...

Either way, though, once you get things setup correctly (much simpler
and faster with a simple e-mail list, btw), they work exactly the same,
at least, from the standpoint of the user.

> So I see nothing wrong in people who have problems asking for a review
> of procedures that are giving them problems. Instead being told that
> there is nothing wrong so get on with it.

As I mentioned, I already posted two very, very simple one-time fixes
for that problem.

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 6.1 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W

   "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of porter poured in a proper
   pewter porter pot.."     --Peter Dalgaard in alt.sysadmin.recovery