Re: [CH] List Future

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:10:16 -0500

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:45:47AM -0500, Sandy Olson wrote:
> Okay, Jim....perhaps it's a matter of semantics.

No, it's a matter of correct terminology---and in this case, there is
no similarity between the two.  And please note...I'm posting this not
to be nit-picky, mean, nasty, or anything like that...I'm trying to
make sure everyone understands what we're talking about here, because
some people's expectactions clearly indicate that this is not the case.

In other words, I'm trying to be helpful.  I just want to specify that
in case my explanations don't come across as such, so everyone will know
how they are intended to be taken.  :-)

Wow, only 20% chance of thunderstorms, but it looks like we are the 20%.
I hope I don't lose power while typing this....

> Moderator, administrator...to us non-teckies they are pretty much
> the same:

No, tech-type or not, they are not the same at all.  In fact, a moderator
does not neccesarily have ANY admin privs over the list except to approve
or disapprove posts to the list.

A moderator (only present in moderated newsgroups, e-mail lists, etc.)
is someone (or sometimes multiple people) who receives *ALL* content
sent to the group/list and, on a message-by-message basis, decides
what will and will not be posted to the group/list.  If the moderator(s)
is/are on vacation, posts pile up in their queue until they get to them.
They may or may not also be sysadmins.

The list owner is, most likely, the sysadmin (or one of the sysadmins
in some cases) for the system on which the list resides.  They maintain
the system and the list software.  They handle problems when someone is
having trouble with access to the list, when the list completely breaks,
when someone's account disappears but they don't unsubscribe (causing
bounce messages to the list owner), etc.

Unmoderated newsgroups, e-mail lists, etc., do NOT have moderators...if
they did, they'd be moderated.

> I do not believe all moderators read and approve each and every post

How else could they moderate the group/list?  Yes, moderators of
newsgroups, e-mail lists, etc., have to at least look over every post
that goes through and approve it before it will go out.  See above.

> I've already mentioned Yahoo! and their glitches.  So, we are good to go
> IMHO but...where IS Mike?

...at owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)                  |        |\      _,,,---,,_
< Running FreeBSD 6.1 >           | ZZZzz  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_