RE: [CH] posting problems (was List Future)

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 06:20:26 -0700

Brent said:

One tiny problem is that now I get two copies of everything, but presumably
whenever I get time to deal with it I'll be able to unsubscribe the "wrong"
one and leave the new one.  If I have to unsubscribe to both then
resubscribe to accomplish the goal, I'm sure that will be tolerable.  If I
end up permanently and totally unsubscribed, I guess I'll move at least
temporarily into the disgruntled group.

When you look at the sender of the two identical incoming messages, are they
from the same person? If so, the person did what is nornally recommender:
send a reply to the sender AND the list.

John S.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Brent Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:06 AM
To: Rael64
Cc: ChileHeads
Subject: Re: [CH] posting problems (was List Future)

> why would 'the system' (whatever allows posting) discriminate?

The point of subscription/authorization is to verify
"some-particular-e-mail-address" is allowed to post and receive list
contents.

Recently mentioned on this list is the issue of plain-text vs. html other
attachments: only plain-text-only posts are accepted by chile-heads.

But tiny little system differences can occur and can make a big difference,
even if you aren't necessarily personally aware that changes have occurred.

I originally subscribed many years ago of course, and have gotten posts from
the list ever since.

But, some years ago, my machine changed its name.  At that time, an e-mail
alias allowed incoming messages to the old address to continue on to the new
machine.  Life was good.  But somehow, my outgoing messages must have looked
different.  I couldn't see a difference, but chile-heads list obviously
could, and refused my posts for several years.  Some of you may have noticed
quite a gap for me re chile-heads.  Fortunately I am easily entertained, so
just reading chile-heads was sorta almost good enough, usually mostly. :-)

But, finally, 13 days ago, I couldn't take it anymore and resubscribed to
chile-heads.  I looked up instructions in the old chile-heads messages, I
followed them -- the ones I just posted a few days ago -- and now I can post
again.  Resubscribing automatically used whatever e-mail address this
machine emits, of course, so now things work.

One tiny problem is that now I get two copies of everything, but presumably
whenever I get time to deal with it I'll be able to unsubscribe the "wrong"
one and leave the new one.  If I have to unsubscribe to both then
resubscribe to accomplish the goal, I'm sure that will be tolerable.  If I
end up permanently and totally unsubscribed, I guess I'll move at least
temporarily into the disgruntled group.

But so far, I don't imagine "permanently and totally unsubscribed" as being
my ultimate fate.
 ---   Brent