Re: [CH] Moderate Corps Time Requirements

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:54:11 -0400

Yeah, that's pretty much my standard response to non-chileheads when they say
things like "He really likes the hot spicy food, he must have burned out all
his taste buds a long time ago."

They don't get that heat has nothing to do with taste buds, and that heat and
flavor are 2 different things.

As far as this goes, it is also the subject where Alton Brown made his biggest
gaffe in my opinion.  In a show that involved chopping chiles he explained
that the heat from peppers was caused when capsaicin "Keyed In" to all the
taste buds simultaneously.  He then went on to one of his little vignettes
that chronicled the result of his putting in a contact lens without thoroughly
washing his hands after handling chiles (Complete with anguished screams
echoing down the block).   I guess it never occurred to him that his
explanation of why chiles were hot implied that he had taste buds in his

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:39:08 -0500, Jim Graham wrote

--
=Mark

http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens