RE: [CH] need hot sauce recipe help

Rich Stevens (rstevens15@verizon.net)
Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:32:10 -0400

A food mill does a much better and faster job than the sieve and spoon
method.
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-Stainless-Steel-Food-Mill/dp/B00004SU1C

Rich Stevens  http://mysite.verizon.net/rstevens15
Photo Trend Enterprises- A Restaurant Service Company

"I never have trouble getting in shape. The Ancient Greeks thought the
sphere was the perfect shape, all points being equidistant from the center.
I effortlessly tend toward perfection".

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Alex Silbajoris
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:10 AM
To: chile heads
Subject: RE: [CH] need hot sauce recipe help

Cayenne is a good base to work from, and the habs would give it a nice
twist.  You will have to deal with a lot of seeds, though.

My usual technique is like this:

Chop, stem, and seed the peppers, but don't worry about getting every seed.

Gently cook the peppers until they begin to become tender, as you would cook
vegetables for dinner.

Whiz them in a food processor to make a puree.

Force this through a sieve with the back of a ladle, set aside the seed and
pulp (sometimes it can be useful for something else like flavoring vinegar).

You should now have a smooth sauce capable of pouring through a squirt-top
bottle.  Normally I would hot-can it into jars waiting in a simmering bath.

You can also do this with dried peppers, to make a sauce for enchiladas, or
a base for chili.