Re: [CH] Beware the Salsa

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Sun, 06 Jul 2008 15:10:54 -0400

=Mark wrote:
> True, but then it would just be spicy spaghetti sauce...   :-(
>
> Of course I just heard this news after getting home from my favorite Tex/Mex
> place, where I always make a point of ordering a side of fresh sliced
> jalepenos to put on my chips and tacos...
>
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 19:29:38 -0400, Linda Hutchinson wrote
>
>> But if it was boiled, or cooked salsa, there would be no danger,
>> cooking destroys salmonella.  Right?
>>
>> Linda

I think what this primarily indicates (which is a bit scary if you ask
me) is that the FDA doesn't actually /know/ what's causing the
salmonella outbreak. Next it'll be onions, after that it'll be
cilantro... pico de gallo lovers everywhere are in for a rough few months.

I am being facetious of course, but I think it's interesting that you
still see signs at various restaurants announcing that for the safety of
their customers, they aren't serving tomatoes- even though the FDA has
officially rescinded the announcement that tomatoes were the cause of
the problems...