Re: [CH] poblano soup

Terry Pogue (tpogue@comcast.net)
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:50:18 -0400

Well, I guess it is. I hadn't thought of that.
Here's the recipe. It's delicious.

Crema De Chile Poblano - Serves 4
Recipe By: Tammy Biber and Theresa Howell
Published in: Southwest Slow Cooking

Ingredients

	2	large	potatoes -- peeled and cut into approximately 8 pieces
	5	large	Poblano chiles -- seeded and cut into 1 inch strips
	1/2		yellow onion -- coarsely chopped
	6	clove	garlic -- chopped
	1	tablespoon	dill -- dried
	1	cup	water
	1	cup	milk -- non-fat
	1	tablespoon	sour cream
	3	cup	Chicken Stock
	1/2	cup	Cotija Cheese -- crumbled
	12	sprig	dill -- fresh

Instructions

Mix the potatoes, chiles, onion, garlic, dill, and water in the slow
cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the potatoes
are tender. About 30 minutes before serving, remove the potatoes and
the chiles from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon, and place in a
blender. Discard the remaining ingredients from the slow cooker and
rinse out. Add the milk and sour cream to the blender with the
potatoes and the chiles. Blend until smooth or desired consistency.
Return the mixture to the slow cooker, add the chicken stock, covet
and continue to cook on high for another 30 minutes or until the soup
is hot. Serve in an individual bowl, sprinkle each with a little
crumbled cotija and fresh sprigs of idill, and serve with fresh, hot
bread.
Makes 6 to 8 servings

Recipe Notes

The author says:
We first made this delicious soup at cooking school in Mexico. Poblano
chiles have a unique, rich flavor that cannot be found in other
chiles, which is why they are a favorite to many people in central
Mexico. The original recipe called for roasted poblanos, which can
take quite some time to prepare, but by making this recipe in the slow
cooker, the skins of the chiles soften enough that you don't need to
remove them, and they help the soup retain its rich green color.

This did not look like the picture in the book. It looked more like it
was processed in the food processor rather than the blender. That
said, the flavor of this soup is fabulous. This is one recipe NOT TO
BE MISSED.

Printed from A Cook's Books -- Recipe management for Macintosh

http://www.terrypogue.com/Terry
"My idea of pure heaven is to spend a day in the kitchen, peeling,
chopping, and stirring while the words of a good book fill the air
around me."
Ruth Reichl