[CH] =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=5BCH=5D_Pickled_Farm-Stand_Tomatoes_with_Jalape=F1os?=

Linda Hutchinson (lipant@sympatico.ca)
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:57:48 -0400

You might be right Mark, about the San Marzanos. And the cumin and ginger.
It's a LOT of ginger, and also a lot of rice vinegar.

Linda

----- Original Message -----
From: =Mark
To: Linda Hutchinson ; chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] Pickled Farm-Stand Tomatoes with Jalapeņos

I'd probably leave out the Cumin and ginger, though I'd be tempted to try
them
the first time just to give it a shot.  On the other hand, I don't really
like
the texture you get from pickling fresh tomatoes, too mushy and watery.
I've
found instead that using canned Italian San Marzano tomatoes really seems to
help.  They have a thicker flesh and less seeds and pulp They're great in
salsa too).  This will change the character of the resulting product, but to
me this is a good thing...

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 22:30:09 -0400, Linda Hutchinson wrote