[CH] =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_=5BCH=5D_Pickled_Farm-Stand_Tomatoes_with_Jalape=F1o?=

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 07:42:06 -0700 (PDT)

It actually sounds good to me, so I suppose I'm having trouble pin-pointing what you don't like.  The spices are common to many cuisines; this recipe reads (quite generally said) "Indian" as in India.

You could dismiss all of the spices (basically, everything other than the salt and oil) and use a good curry powder (no green onion either), but I'm not sure if the result would be that different.

You might try adding to what the recipe calls for, say, some cardamom, or go for the sweet and add some cinnamon, maybe some cloves.  I'm not sure if these spices need to be cooked per instructions; just add to the hot mixture off-heat.

You could sub sushi seasoning/Marin for the vinegar and brown sugar (although that's essentially what is created: sweet vinegar).

If it's a matter of not liking one/some ingredient though, just leave it out! But...if you haven't made the recipe, er, not to what? nag? be an arse? well, whatever I may be... *make* the recipe and see how it tastes!  You just might like it as is.

Personally, while I like cumin, I often find it too dominating a spice.  If you pull it, the ginger and garlic will probably dominate.  If that's too blunt, do something weird like adding some citrus, which should flavor the tomatoes in some (unknown) way.

Could be really gross too :)

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael-o-rama
64