[CH] =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=5BCH=5D__Cumin_=28was_Pickled_Farm-Stand_Tomatoes_wit?=

Linda Hutchinson (lipant@sympatico.ca)
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:47:40 -0400

I like cumin in Indian food and some others but don't like it in a simple
tomato salsa.  I love the taste of tomatoes and cumin overpowers it.

Linda

----- Original Message -----
From: Alex Silbajoris
To: chile heads
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 4:25 PM
Subject: [CH] Cumin (was Pickled Farm-Stand Tomatoes with Jalapeņos)

> From: love2troll@kc.rr.com

>I never liked until started subbing whole seeds for ground & using less
>than
> called for.

Not me, I instantly loved cumin the first time I smelled and tasted it.

In the 1970s we would buy "Trail Boss Chili" in a packaged mix similar to
Hamburger Helper today.  It was Rotelle-shaped pasta, to which you added
ground meat, with a seasoning packet that of course didn't have much pepper
heat but was quite heavy on the cumin.  I didn't know what that flavor was
but I loved it.

Fast-forward to being old enough to go hit the (then crummy) local Mexican
restaurants, discover that flavor again, and finding out what it was.  So I
started to buy it and add it to other foods.

One thing I started to make was a simple mix I called C Salt:  equal parts
ground cumin, ground cayenne pepper, and salt.  Add it to typical mild wimpy
"chili" like from a restaurant chain to get a much more serious product.

http://revealyourinnerathlete.windowslive.com?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WLYIA_whichathlete_us