Re: [CH] Hot buns!

JohnT (love2troll@kc.rr.com)
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 13:48:51 -0500

Doug's sourdough update:

Started out in a small pill vial and was bubbling nicely in less than 24
hours which means Doug did a great job dehydrating into starter flakes.  It
also means that his starter innoculated the culture and not something from
the wilds of Missouri air.  (takes 2 days for wild in my experience)  Been
feeding daily with 3 parts flour to 2 parts water and now up to little over
1/2 pint volume. Rather sweet and mild smelling and I'm ready to feed
heavilly today and refrigerate for up to a month for final flavoring.

  http://www.fototime.com/5D57643AC97E199/standard.jpg

I've kept 2 other starters (one a famous one) going for a couple years now
and am happy to have this one.

Thanks again to Doug!

jt

----- Original Message -----
From: JohnT
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:42 PM
Subject: [CH] Hot buns!

Of the sourdough hamburger kind and nothing to do with Twister.

Received some dehydrated flakes of Doug's (tanks!!) sourdough starter
yesterday and just started a new culture in a pill container (have ongoing
lifetime supply of those..  thanks be!) today.  Used 1/2 his flakes with abt
twice as much flour and some distilled water.   I'll be expecting
fermentation activity by tomorrow morning and will feed it more flour and
water after transferring to a pint jar.

http://www.fototime.com/B5B75EDC0D2F5F1/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/FFD1E531A3433DE/orig.jpg

I want to make sourdough 'hamburger' buns.  Somewhat along the line of
Jim's bread.  Want them a little on the tough side because of what using
for.  I cook in bulk, seal-a-meal & freeze to nuke in the microwave later.
All my cooking is done outside on a gas or charcoal grill, smoker or propane
burner units.  These will be baked in my gas grill.  Heat control is just as
precise as an oven and indirect heat simulates an oven.

Typical meal made in bulk might be a large slice Vidalia onion heated in fry
pan
until just barely translucent, slices of Cabot's extra sharp cheddar and
maybe a
cooked chicken, fish or hamburger patty between a bun.  The freezing, vac
sealing & nuking often causes store-bought buns to break up.  I only feed at
night, so my one meal of the day has to be substantial enough to sustain my
svelte (at the moment) 198# figger.  Tomatoes are ripening so will be adding
slices tomato to the buns and will further complicate the buns soaking
liquid and breaking up when nuked.

Any techniques and recipe suggestions welcome.

JohnT