Re: [CH] OT....drying oregano

JohnT (love2troll@kc.rr.com)
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:01:06 -0500

Depends on where you live.  Even sun drying is difficult in the summer where
I live because of the high humidity.  Clamp two window screens together with
a single layer of leaves (or entire branches) in between and suspend
horizontally off the ground out in the sun during the day for as long as it
takes.  Take inside during the night if you get morning dew or chance of
rain etc.

I've never done it, but on a tomato forum back in the 90s a lady posted that
she dehydrated tomato slices in a gas oven with just the pilot light on.  I
can't remember if she left the door slightly ajar or not. I would guess that
some air exchange would be good.

I'm salt drying basil leaves as we speak.  Use an air-tight container with a
layer of non-iodized salt (coarse Kosher or sea salt is what I use) on the
bottom and cover with a single layer of leaves followed by alternate layers
of salt and leaves.  Keep in fridge.  The salt will end up nicely flavored
and useable for cooking.

I know a couple pod-heads that salt dry chiles too & I think I will try that
very soon.  Color & flavor retention is supposed to be excellent & just
think of how useful the salt would be!

jt