Re: [CH] Melon & White Peach Salsa

JohnT (love2troll@kc.rr.com)
Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:00:52 -0500

Hi Risa,

By sheer coincidence I bought 2 large cantaloupe earlier this week to use in
salsa and a hot sauce I've been planning.  I process everything so the
cantaloupe would lose any texture it would have if in a fresh salsa.  So far
this year I haven't purchased a single one that tasted anything near to a
vine-ripened one.  I can't grow them because am too stubborn to spray for
disease or bugs.  Cantaloupe really gets a fermentation going too and helps
counter the anti-bacterial qualities of garlic and the lesser anti-bacterial
qualities of hot peppers.

I like the way you very often sub what you have on hand for ingredients in
someone's recipe.  If it tastes good do it!

Thanks for the ideas!
jt

----- Original Message -----
From: RisaG
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 9:01 PM
Subject: [CH] Melon & White Peach Salsa

I adapted this from the new Emeril Green webpage at planetgreen.com

 The original called for watermelon and Kiwi's. I had neither. I had
cantaloupe, white peaches and tomatoes so that is what I used. This came out
just wonderful. An interesting combination of flavors.

 I put it on top of my beef tenderloin tonight. So good.

 Cantaloupe & White Peach Salsa
 Makes 4 cups

 2 cups seeded cantaloupe, chopped small
 2 white peaches, pitted & cut into tiny cubes
 1 small tomato, seeded & chopped
 1/4 cup red onion, minced
 2 green thai chiles, minced
 1 red thai chile, minced
 1/4 tsp salt, plus
 1/8 tsp salt
 7 tbsp lime juice
 2 tbsp fresh mint, chiffonade

 In a non-reactive mixing bowl, combine the melon, peaches, tomato, onion,
chiles, salt and lime juice and toss gently. Add the fresh mint and fold it
in gently. Allow to sit for 30 minutes and up to 2 hours before serving.

 RisaG
  RisaG