Re: [CH] recipe request - Pad Pak

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 19:15:44 -0700 (PDT)

See: http://importfood.com/recipes/thaistirfryvegi.html

Naturally, you can sub fresh chiles of choice for the "pepper powder".

Myself, I often just use the soy/sugar mixture (regular brown sugar works) with some galangal powder.  Nothing spectacular, but nothing I want to throw away (which is usually what happens when I try to add in other spices, flavors, etc., and get 'creative'.  Bah. Simple is best).  Cook the rice in a decent veggie (or mushroom) stock, and you've got a really outstanding, easy, fast meal (I toss in sliced portabellos, which can be marinated and/or sauteed in soy/etc. first).

By the way, as an ex-cook who is a bit snobbish about food, particularly techniques, skills, Real Food vs. all that other sheeeet (e.g. knife skills vs. pre-cut crap; from scratch/by hand vs. prepared foods/'time-saving' techniques, etc.), I have joined the rest of the (billion-plus) folks who have a rice cooker.  My god.  Push a button.

Thank you, El Grande.

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael"...but pre-cut, peeled 'baby' carrots?!?...BLASPHEMY!..."64