Re: [CH] rice cooker help, please!

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:48:41 -0500

3/4 of a cup of rice is they use as a measurement for each cup on my
rice cooker.
then fill it to the 1 cup line.

You are correct - follow the directions - lol

My lovely wife did the same thing - she "thought"!  Yes a sticky mess,
but now she makes it perfect - actually the cooker does it..

cheers
ChesterChile

Jim Graham wrote:
> I realize that this is slightly off-topic, but hey, the list is dead
> quiet right now, so I doubt anyone will get TOO upset about it.....  :-)
>
> Ok, I've heard that with a rice cooker, it's as simple as putting
> the rice and water (both measured per instructions, of course) and
> pressing a button.  A couple of hours later, you have perfect rice.
>
> Uh huh.  Well, apparently I've found a way to screw up that which
> cannot be screwed up...because my first batch last night was NOT
> even remotely close to perfect, unless you want chewy, sticky rice.
>
> Here's what I did:
>
>    * 3 cups Jasmine brown rice (washed)
>    * 3 3/4 cups (filtered) water (measured using scale in pot...from
>      now on, I will be using the cup that came with the rice cooker)
>    * set rice cooker on "Brown" and waited (had no idea it was going
>      to take so long, but that just means I start it earlier next
>      time...no big deal)
>    * after it switched over to warm, stirred with the rice spoon that
>      came with the cooker, per instructions, and allowed the rice to
>      rest while I stir-fried the chicken/veges/sauce (which included
>      prik ki nu fresh from the garden)
>
> Result (rice):  a sticky mess.
>

> After a bit of reading, I gather that, for Jasmine rice, you're not
> supposed to add the extra 1/4 cup water per cup of rice, and you're
> not supposed to wash it unless it comes from a source that implies
> that it needs to be washed.....
>
> Any help?  Anyone else mess up using the "always perfect" rice cookers,
> i.e., am I the only one who has done so?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>    --jim
>
> PS:  Does anyone know of a source for a good chart for steaming veges
>      (i.e., amount of water to use and steaming time)?  Also, does the
>      rice cooker switch to "Warm" when steaming, just as it does when
>      cooking rice?

* Chet Bacon   KA1ILH     |           Okay, who put a             *
* PO Box 284              |         "stop payment" on my          *
* Southington, CT 06489   |             reality check?            *
* E-Mail:                 | Homepage:                             *
* chet@chetbacon.com      | http://www.chetbacon.com              *
* chet_bacon@whps.org     |<work>  http://www.whps.org            *