Re: [CH] rice cooker help, please!

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:47:51 -0800 (PST)

The simple answer is, yes, too much water.  Don't add extra for any kind of rice.  Trial and error will be your teacher, though, as is has been mine.

The long-winded answer is:

I think I mentioned to you before that I have a 3-cup Zojirushi rice cooker.  I use the cup (which is not a US-standard cup, by the way) to measure the rice, and I use the corresponding markings (1, 2, 3) in the insert/cooker, although I do not actually use the recommended amount of water.  I use less because I like my rice pretty non-sticky too, and following the cooker instructions exactly often leads to wet/sticky rice.  I eyeball it, putting in about 1/4 less than recommended.

Based on what you said, though, yes, you added too much water.  If the instructions that came with the rice said to add the water, bluntly put:  never follow the instructions that came the rice unless you're cooking in some other (non-rice cooker) way.  Use the cooking instructions that came with the cooker.

If the cooker instructions said add more water for brown jasmine rice, shame on them.  Ain't so (he says in that Know-It-All tone).  While I cook jasmine most often, I also cook brown jasmine, and other varieties, even wild rice.  I still follow the markings in the insert as guide.  I do add the full amount of water for brown rices, but no extra.

Of course, you mention that you used the "brown" setting, which I understand to mean the cooker will operates differently for brown rice than it will for white rice, but you have to tell it to do so.  Weird is all I can say, but that's because mine just has one button: on/off.

Regardless, the only reason sticky rice is born is too much water.

Or you're making sushi, which I like...when well-cooked 8^p

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles
Rael"...rice cookers rule, baby..."64