Re: [CH] Blue garlic

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:30:42 -0500

=Mark wrote:
> Sounds like a job for Google...
>
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:54:01 -0500, Jonathan Smillie wrote
>
>> Not as OT as you might think... I've been steeping a gallon jar full
>> of Bolivian Rainbow chiles and whole garlic cloves in white vinegar
>> for a week now, intending to use it as the basis of some hot sauce,
>>  but over the last couple of days I've noticed that some - not all-
>>  of the garlic has begun to turn a rather fetching shade of blue
>> (more lavender, really).
>>
>> I recall reading somewhere earlier on the list that this had to do
>> with iodine content (although I haven't put salt, iodized or
>> otherwise, in this mix) - but the core question is, is the blue
>> garlic still safe to eat, or is the discoloration indicative of
>> bacteria or something else that would recommend discarding this batch?
>>

> --
> =Mark
>
> http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens

Thanks Mark. I googled "Blue garlic" and found a source at
http://whatscookingamerica.net/garlictips.htm which explains that it's a
reaction between naturally-occurring sulfuric compounds in the garlic,
and copper (either in utensils, water or even in vinegar, which is my
pickling liquid) but that the change is cosmetic only and not harmful.