Re: [CH] Blue garlic

Michael Nestrud (mike@ataraxis.org)
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:23:17 -0500

Hello all,

This just came out - it is available online.  Contact me off list for a pdf.

It basically states that allinase, an enzyme, breaks down allin to
form sulfur compounds (the thiosulfinates).  Thiosulfinates react with
amino acids to form color compounds.  I'd be wary of other theories -
it is nothing to do with bacteria!

if you're interested in preventing it, do something to the garlic to
destroy the enzymes, i.e. heat shock.  Microwave could also work.

Identification of Candidate Amino Acids Involved in the Formation of
Blue Pigments in Crushed Garlic Cloves (Allium sativum L.)
Cho et al.(2008). Journal of Food Science.

ABSTRACT: The color-forming ability of amino acids with thiosulfinate
in crushed garlic was investigated. We developed reaction systems for
generating pure blue pigments using extracted thiosulfinate from
crushed garlic and onion and all 22 amino acids. Each amino acid was
reacted with thiosulfinate solution and was then incubated at 60 °C
for 3 h to generate pigments. Unknown blue pigments, responsible for
discoloration in crushed garlic cloves (Allium sativum L.), were
separated and tentatively characterized using high-performance liquid
chromatography (HPLC) and a diode array detector ranging between 200
and 700 nm. Blue pigment solutions exhibited 2 maximal absorbance
peaks at 440 nm and 580 nm, corresponding to yellow and blue,
respectively, with different retention times. Our findings indicated
that green discoloration is created by the combination of yellow and
blue pigments. Eight naturally occurring blue pigments were separated
from discolored garlic extracts using HPLC at 580 nm. This suggests
that garlic discoloration is not caused by only 1 blue pigment, as
reported earlier, but by as many as 8 pigments. Overall, free amino
acids that formed blue pigment when reacted with thiosulfinate were
glycine, arginine, lysine, serine, alanine, aspartic acid, asparagine,
glutamic acid, and tyrosine. Arginine, asparagine, and glutamine had
spectra that were more similar to naturally greened garlic extract.

--
Michael A. Nestrud
Cornell University Sensory Science PhD Candidate

"All that you taste... all that you eat."