Re: [CH] Green Chile Stew

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:32:07 -0600

Sandy Olson wrote:
> Good Evening...We spent Thanksgiving in Alamogordo,NM with the
> kids/grandkids.  My son makes a good green chile stew and I wanted to
> replicate it for some friends tonight...along with posole.
>
> The recipe I found in a Jane Butel cookbook has tomatoes in it.  My
> son't did not.  Anyone know what's 'real' New Mexican as Jane B. is
> supposed to be the goddess of Southwestern cooking.  I tooke classes
> with her about 15 years ago in Albuquerque but we didn't do this dish.
>
> Inquiring minds want to know...although these Norwegian north Iowans
> won't know the difference and will enjoy whatever I dish up for them.
> They're good folks!
Here y'go. One of the best I have in my recipe dispenser ...

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Jerry's Green Chile
 Categories: Stews, Pork, Chilies
      Yield: 12 Servings

      2 lb Pork; in small cubes
      1 c  Chopped onion
     14 oz Chicken broth
  1 1/2 ts Granulated garlic
  2 1/2 tb Chicken base
      1 ts Celery salt
      1 tb Cornstarch
    1/2 ts Oregano
      1 tb Cumin, ground
    1/2 tb Jalapeno; dried, ground
      1 tb Dried cilantro
    1/2 tb green (Hatch) chile powder
     10 oz Green enchilada sauce
     27 oz Can green chilies; chopped
      8 oz Can green chilies; pureed
      1 ts Salt
           Habanero hot sauce as needed

  Brown pork and drain

  Add onion & chicken broth (will not cover meat). Simmer 1
  hour stirring often.

  Add spice mix and a little water. Simmer 1 hour stirring
  often to avoid sticking.

  Add green enchilada sauce. Simmer 1/2 hour.

  Add chopped green chilies. Cook for 15 minutes

  Add 8 oz Green chilies, pureed 10 minutes later

  Adjust with 1/2 ts jalapeno powder, 1 ts salt and a liberal
  dose of habanero hot sauce.

  Source: Jerry Simmons - ICS World Chile Verde Champion 2000 & 2006

  MM Format by Dave Drum - 24 August 2005

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!

Home of YAHOOOOAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... Any woman who thinks the way to a man's heart is through his stomach is aiming about 10 inches too high. -- Adrienne E. Gusoff