Re: [CH] Acorn squash, apple and chile soup

bluezinnia@kyananet.com
Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:21:33 -0500

=Mark wrote:
> My local Mexican place does something similar.
>
> You might consider adding some minced cilantro into the yogurt (Sour Cream?
> Creme Fraiche?) that you garnish it with...

Well, but I'm a cilantro-hater--I'm one of the folks that got the trait
(I DON'T want to re-start the
argument over whether it's a gene or not --I'm a pacifist :) )  that
makes cilantro taste like soap
to a significant  percentage of European-descended adults (possibly as
many as 20%, one report
said.  I've never heard data on other ethnic groups. ).  To us, eating
cilantro is just like biting into
a big ol' bar of Irish Spring or some such, and the smell is almost
nauseating.

I've gotten so I can handle a very little of it in salsa or some such,
but  I wish so many cooks
today didn't use great wads of it--or at least not without finding out
if their guests can handle it.
We'd be grateful if folk asked, believe  me; I recently attended one
potluck where i couldn't eat
_anything_ but the bread and the desserts; even the fruit salad was
cilantro-ized.  Yikes. :)

Anyway, basil or chives for me, thanks. <smile>

Rain
@@@@
 \ \ \ \ \