Re: [CH] Industrial quantities of capsicum frutescens

Linda Hutchinson (lipant@sympatico.ca)
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:54:04 -0500

NO, but I have a ton of 2008 seeds.  How patient are you?

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan Smillie
To: Chile Heads
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 4:25 PM
Subject: [CH] Industrial quantities of capsicum frutescens

Greetings to all and apologies for not doing more to keep the list
moving...

I was privileged to gather some hundreds of Bolivian Rainbow chiles from
Bre'r Jim's fields at Open Fields this year, which I have since
translated into a rather likely analogue of sriracha sauce (with the
help of a lot of  garlic, a bit of sugar and some salt and vinegar, the
latter two of which at least are never far from the heart of us Scots).
The drawback is, I only managed to make about 8 bottles of hot sauce out
of those (very small) chiles. Based on the reaction to that sauce, I'd
be willing to pursue it as a small-time commercial product- but where to
get the chiles?

Anyone have a source for semi-industrial quantities of capsicum
frutescens, or the mash thereof? Not really interested in paying
more-than-retail for dried and reconstituting, but if that's what's out
there...

Cheers,

Jonathan