Re: [CH] autoclavable hot sauce bottles?

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:30:31 -0400

Jim Graham wrote:
> Does anyone know where (in the US) I might find empty 10 oz hot sauce
> bottles/lids that can be autoclaved (or put in my "Poor Man's Autoclave",
> aka "pressure cooker at 15 PSI // 250 deg. F")?
>
> Thanks,
>    --jim

Good grief, why?   I've watched CaJohn bottle commercial sauces, and
they put their sauces in the bottle at (IIRC) 170-190 degrees F.  That's
it, seal the bottle, turn it upside down.  When it cools, retighten the
cap.  You might ask Jim Campbell or CaJohn to be sure.

I bottle several sauces here in Michigan for sale in stores.  I use the
same method.  The Michigan Department of Agriculture inspector is
sastisfied with the process.

I prefer not to overcook my sauces so as not to lose the fresh flavor.
200F tops, for 20 minutes.  I do not boil.

Beth Boyd at http://www.peppermania.com sells bottles in small
quantities and a fair price.

Hobby Farmer