Re: [CH] Datils

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:21:22 -0500

Sandy Olson wrote:

> Hey, Mo...isn't a Datil sort of a....uh, hmmmm, moderate pepper?  The
> only ones I've had were pickled in jars sold in a restaurant we used to
> love...the name on the label was Datil Do It and they were very good.
>
> SandyO
> CH #1146 of the moderate persuasion

Not hardly of the "moderate persuasion" if you're into Datil chilies,
Sandy. From the archives:

"A native pepper from St. Augustine, Florida, the pepper is thought to
have been brought there around 1776 when the surviving Minorcans fled
to that city to escape the abuses at Turnbull's plantation. The pepper
can rate as high as 300,000 Scoville Units, almost as hot as the
Habanero."

Find the rest of the story here:

http://datilsensation.com/datilhistory03.shtml

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAHOOOOAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... The higher the buildings, the lower the morals. -- Noel Coward