[CH] Habanero-Lime Honey Bread - was [A Bread Machine]

KnoxBill (knoxbill@comcast.net)
Sat, 14 Nov 2009 07:28:16 -0500

jjk wrote:
> I got a new bread machine.  Anyone have any good recipes?  I have "the
> bread" already.  JJK

this is a hit every time i make it...

Habanero-Lime Honey Bread

1-1/2 Pound loaf:
3/4 Cup Water
Juice of 2 fresh limes
1-1/2 Teaspoon olive oil
1 Teaspoon salt
3 Teaspoon honey+ 1.5T sugar
3 habaneros*
1-1/2 Teaspoon milk powder
(lactase drops)
2 zests of lime
3 Cup bread flour**
2 Teaspoon yeast (scant)
**
2 Pound loaf:
1 Cup water
Juice of 3 fresh limes
2 Teaspoon olive oil
1 1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Cup honey+2T sugar
4 habaneros*
2 Teaspoon milk powder
(lactase drops)
zests of 3 limes
4 Cup bread flour**
2 1/2 Teaspoon yeast

Settings: rapid, medium crust. If desired, add a few drops of green food
color. The 1lb "proof of concept" loaf worked out very well.

** 1C all-purpose flour + 1t vital gluten + 1/2t diastatic malt powder
== 1C bread flour. King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour is good for WW,
milder in taste and has enough gluten to work well as a bread flour
straight. This recipe uses this 50-50 with the above all-purpose mixture.

*fresh is preferred, but dried habaneros finely crushed with a cleaver
should work well. You can use as many as you want, the original idea
was this not to be overwhelmingly hot. If using dried habaneros, add
about 2T more lime juice and if dough is still too dry, add more if you
have it, or add water by teaspoonful until it's just right but no more.
I think it ended up being about 1-1/2T+ once they were crushed
(sandwich bag, crush carefully with honey jar).

This was a big hit at the September Hotluck at Jim McGrath's 9/28/97.

Posted By: Babs Woods Date Posted:Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:48:07

--

knoxbill

Hi!  You have reached 555-0129. None of us are here to answer the phone and the cat doesn't have opposing thumbs, so his messages are illegible.  Please leave your name and message after the beep...