[CH] Fw: How would you taste 20 different hot powders?

Tom Greaves (tomg@airmail.net)
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 09:44:53 -0500

Resending in plain text format.

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Greaves
To: chile-heads@GlobalGarden.com
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2010 9:40 AM
Subject: How would you taste 20 different hot powders?

In about a week, 2 chileheads and myself will try to reproduce the Calvin's
Powder.  We have 16 different dried chile varieties and will try various
combinations to see if we can get close to the formula.  The biggest
question we have is how to go about tasting the 20 to 30 different
combinations that we have in mind.  Our current thought is to put about 2
tablespoons of sour cream in each cup then mix in about 1/8 teaspoon of the
powder mix.  We will do that about an hour in advance of the tasting.

Any ideas or suggestions?  We have all the peppers listed on the bottle
except Rocoto and Hawaiian as we couldn't find any of them.  Jim thinks it
was heavy in Aji Amarillo, so we will use about 25% of that in each mix.