Re: [CH] Ok, new question about smoking chicken and the skin

Ted Wagner (trwagner1@yahoo.com)
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 04:26:59 -0700 (PDT)

I use a Webber "bullet" wet smoker.  Smokey mountain grill or whatever they call it.  I just call it the bullet.  My daughter calls it the big giant black pill.  ;)

 If you use a regular grill, and are truly smoking, use the offset/indirect heat method where you have a hot and cold side.

 When I smoke a chicken, it's probably in the smoker a good 3-4 hours.  The flavor will penetrate the skin and the meat will have good pink color from the smoking.  On a regular grill using indirect heat, it might be a good two hours.

 On the grill, it's on less than an hour tops.

 For penetrating smoke flavor, it has to be low and slow heat.  I've found that if you do this, it's irreguardless of the skin.  Same with roasting a hog.

 My experience is, if you want STRONG cayenne flavor, use a rub with cayenne.  If you want a subtle flavor, add it with the marinade.  Marinades penetrate poultry meats quite a bit less than red meat.

 Ted