Re: [CH] "Vinegar Powder"

AndyB (CH2060@xemaps.com)
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:00:03 -0400

  I would advise using care with any "vinegar powder".  The primary constituent
of vinegar is acetic acid;  acetic acid, also known as ethanoic acid, is what
gives vinegar its sour taste and pungent smell.

Vinegar is made from the oxidation of ethanol (AKA "grain alcohol") by acetic
acid bacteria. The ethanol may be derived from many different sources including
wine, cider, beer or fermented fruit juice.  White (distilled) vinegar is
nothing but water and acetic acid.   The vinegar one gets from food markets is
generally diluted to a uniform strength of 5% acetic acid.  Note that in food
preparation, vinegar is further diluted from 2:1 to 20:1.

As to vinegar powder:
Pure, water-free acetic acid (glacial acetic acid) is a liquid that freezes at
16.5°C (62°F) to a crystalline solid.  Both  liquid and solid are colorless and
absorb water (hygroscopic) from the environment.  Thus, any pure "vinegar
powder" would soon turn into a concentrated liquid acid when exposed to the
air.  The pure acid and its concentrated solutions are ***dangerously
corrosive***, and can give serious chemical burns.

The referenced link does not give any clue as to the actual constituents are of
what it is selling as "vinegar powder".   Hopefully, it is at least 95%
flavorings and some form of carbohydrate.

AndyB