Re: [CH] Radish Soup?

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:26:07 -0500

On 10/1/2010 13:45, Mike Benson wrote:

> I've got a bumper crop of large radishes growing right now and was
> wondering if anyone has a good radish soup recipe?

I've got one I like that I've made a couple times ... it also uses
avocado - which is another of my favourites.  ;-)

LATER: Here are some more recipes to help you use up that bumper crop
of radishes .... add chilies anywhere you think appropriate  ;-)

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Barley With Walnuts & Roasted Spring Vegetables
  Categories: Grains, Cheese, Nuts, Vegetables, Squash
       Yield: 7 servings

       2 c  Hulled or pearl barley
       1 ts Kosher salt + more to taste
      12 oz Carrots; peeled, md dice
       8 oz Zucchini; lg dice
       5    Radishes; md dice
       1 c  Chopped red spring onion;
            - greens reserved *
       2 tb Extra-virgin olive oil +
            - more to drizzle
       2 ts Chopped fresh thyme
       2 ts Chopped fresh rosemary
       1 cl Garlic; chopped
            Fresh ground black pepper
     1/2 c  Walnut pieces
            Reserved spring onion greens
            - (opt); thin sliced
     1/2 c  Grated Parmesan cheese

   The Parmesan, nuts and seasonal vegetables help turn the
   hearty barley into a vegetarian main course; serve it with a
   salad. This also makes a delicious side to roasted or
   grilled meat dishes. It can be finished in less than an
   hour.

   Place the barley and 1 teaspoon salt in a pan with 4 1/2
   cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and
   cook, stirring often, until the grains are tender with a
   slight crunch and most of the water has evaporated, 35-40
   minutes. Spread out on a baking sheet and let cool. Do not
   drain unless there is a lot of extra liquid; if so, save the
   liquid in case the barley seems dry later.

   Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400øF.

   Combine the carrots, zucchini, radishes, spring onions, 2
   tablespoons olive oil, thyme, rosemary and garlic in a large
   bowl. Add plenty of salt and pepper to taste. Spread out on
   a baking sheet so that all of the vegetables touch the pan,
   and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.

   While the vegetables are roasting, place the walnut pieces
   on a small baking pan place in the oven. Watch carefully,
   and remove when the pieces begin to color, 8-10 minutes at
   most.

   Toss the vegetables with the barley and the spring onion
   greens, if using, and spread out on the pan you used to
   roast the vegetables. Reduce the oven to 350° and cook until
   the barley is warmed through, about 10 minutes.

   Toss in the Parmesan and nuts, if using, and a drizzle of
   olive oil. Add some of the reserved water if it seems dry.
   Taste for more salt and pepper, and serve immediately.

   * Spring onions should be in stores now. You can use an
   equal amount of green spring onions or red onion instead.

   Serves 6-8

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 20 June 2010

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Radish Dip
  Categories: Dips, Appetisers, Cheese
       Yield: 2 servings

       8 oz Bunch radishes; tops, roots
            - removed
       6 oz Cream cheese
     1/2 ts Celery salt
     1/2 ts Fresh ground pepper
       3    Green onions; thin sliced
            Kosher salt

   The dip from former Chronicle Food & Wine intern and
   Culinary Institute of America student Rachael Daylong is a
   good accompaniment for raw vegetables. It could also be used
   as very moist sandwich spread.

   In a food processor, blend together radishes, cream cheese,
   celery salt and pepper, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Fold
   in green onions, reserving some for garnish; season to taste
   with kosher salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

   Makes 2 cups

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 20 June 2010

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Pickled Spicy Radishes
  Categories: Five, Vegetables, Pickles, Citrus, Chilies
       Yield: 9 servings

       1 lb Radishes; stems intact
       1 c  Lime juice
     1/2 ts Ground chile pequin *
            +=OR=+
     1/2 ts Ground habanero chile *
     1/2 ts Kosher salt

   From former Chronicle Food & Wine intern Gaby Camacho.

   Scrub radishes, then halve lengthwise, keeping stem intact
   (so that people can pick them up from the stem). Marinate in
   lime juice at least 4 hours, or up to 1 day before serving.
   When ready to serve, strain out the lime juice and sprinkle
   the radishes liberally with salt and chile powder.

   * Ground chile pequin is available at Mexican grocery stores
   and ground habanero chile can be found at Whole Foods.

   Serves 8-10

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 20 June 2010

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Daikon & Napa Cabbage Slaw
  Categories: Salads, Vegetables, Citrus
       Yield: 6 servings

       1    To 1 1/2 pounds napa
            - cabbage; core thin sliced
     3/4 lb Daikon radish; peeled,
            - grated in large holes of
            - grater

MMMMM--------------------------DRESSING-------------------------------
       1 ts Minced garlic
     1/2 ts Honey or sugar, or to taste
       2 ts Soy sauce
       1 tb Fresh lime or lemon juice; +
            - more to taste
       2 tb Sesame seeds; lightly
            - toasted
       2 tb Rice vinegar
     1/4 c  Vegetable oil
            Salt and pepper

   Place the cabbage and daikon in a large bowl.

   Combine the dressing ingredients, then pour over the
   vegetables and toss with plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
   Serve immediately or chill for 1 hour before serving.

   Serves 6

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAAAAHHHHOOOOAAAAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -- Robert
Heinlein (1907 - 1988)