Re: [CH] Red Savina vs. Bhut Jolokia

AndyB (CH2060@xemaps.com)
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 00:20:07 -0400

--=======AVGMAIL-763B5E80=======

This is in regard to my personal observations of Red Savina vs. Bhut Jolokia.
A few years ago I grew both under the same conditions and processed them the same.

I tasted small fresh flakes of each. After de-seeding and (smoke) drying, I
tasted again small flakes of each. Each tine I first tasted the Red Savina, then
the Bhut Jalokia.

As expected, the Savina was very hot. However, => the Bhut was (gasp) definitely
hotter =-O.

The Savina definitely had a richer flavor than the Bhut, whose flavor was a
bit thin. (I did go back to each to better evaluate the taste.)

Before drying, however, the flesh on the Red Savina was much thicker than that
of the Bhut, which was very thin. The Savina pod was, on the average, about two
to three times heavier than the Bhut.

So, for quantity of heat per pod, I found them to be about the same, with
the Savina having a slight edge. Additionally, since I am now also doing
extracts, which preserves the flavor, I have dropped the Jalokia in favor
of the Savina.

AndyB

--=======AVGMAIL-763B5E80=======

--=======AVGMAIL-004B6997=======