Re: [CH] Will peppers ripen after the plant is uprooted?

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Thu, 18 Nov 2010 08:05:34 -0800

On 10-11-18 5:42 AM, Tom Greaves wrote:
> This year I planted half my peppers in pots so that I can move them
> into the garage on cold nights.  The other half are in the ground and
> I expect them to be killed when we have our first freeze.  I know that
> tomatoes can be pulled out and hung in the garage and they will
> continue to ripen.  Since peppers are in the same nightshade family,
> I'm hoping that they will ripen that way also.  Has anyone tried this?
>
> My yellow habaneros and chocolate habaneros are about 5 foot tall and
> loaded with green fruit.  We had brutal heat this summer and nothing
> set until last month.  The Bhut Jalokia is just now starting to bloom
> (fortunately it is in a pot).

Indeed they will Tom! Hang 'em upside down by the roots and just let
them get ripe. I have them ripen on the kitchen counter after they have
been picked! But the best way is what I suggested. If you have a mister
you could even mist the roots every so often. I have two in pots which
will be coming into our storeroom today as the temp her went down to 6C
(about 44F) last night and they are looking a little sad! Still have my
basil out there as well.
Parsley last here on Vancouver Island all winter, and of course I never
bring the rosemary in, it stays out 12 months
nd I have only ever lost one plant. It was 12 years old and we had an
exceptionally cold winter, about 10F. I was sorry to have to say good
bye to it, it supplied us with rosemary for all that time and was huge,
outgrew two pots!
So go for hanging your peppers, if there is a window in the garage all
the better, if not put in a grow light.
Cheers,
Doug in BC