Re: [CH] [OT again] chimney starters

Jim Graham (spooky130u@gmail.com)
Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:02:39 -0600

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:48:42AM -0800, Dana Myers wrote:
> On 11/25/2010 9:48 AM, Jim Graham wrote:

> More airflow == hotter fire, less airflow == cooler fire.

Ok, that makes so much sense I can remember it even with chemobrain on
full right now....

> I'm pretty sure the ECB you're using has no adjustable dampers

correct.

> If the cooker wants to run at 300F, it's going to run at 300F
> and that's the temperature you're going to cook at.

It did cool down to 250, and has maintained that, so I guess it's just
a question of adjust, check, adjust again, check, etc.....

> (I've probably mentioned before that I prefer the Weber bullets.
> Expensive up-front but they just work. Add a power-draft controller
> and they just work like an appliance, set the temperature and go to
> bed or whatever)

Sounds like it's WAY out of my budget.

> Sometimes I need to use two batches of paper to ignite a chimney-load,
> it depends on how long the charcoal has been sitting around soaking-up
> humidity. Usually a freshly-opened bag of charcoal ignites easily
> and a bag that's been open a long time doesn't.

And that answers that!  My charcoal today has been open (half-used bag)
since the first time I posted here after buying the ECB (earlier this
year...in April or May, I think).  It's been in a container outside,
bag rolled up to "close" it...and the humidity here can be anywhere
between the 30% to 40% range in the Fall, to 99% or 100% (currently
91% as I type this).  So your explanation fits perfectly.  That's fine.
As long as I know this much, I can deal with it.

Thanks again for the info.
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | "This 'telephone' has too many
spooky130u@gmail.com    | shortcomings to be seriously considered