Re: [CH] [OT again] chimney starters

Dana Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:48:46 -0800

Some C-H content so this isn't 100% off-topic:

I use ground Chipotle powder in my rubs and sauces.

On 11/25/2010 11:02 AM, Jim Graham wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:48:42AM -0800, Dana Myers wrote:
>
>> If the cooker wants to run at 300F, it's going to run at 300F
>> and that's the temperature you're going to cook at.
>
> It did cool down to 250, and has maintained that, so I guess it's just
> a question of adjust, check, adjust again, check, etc.....

That's half of the fun, right? :-)

>> (I've probably mentioned before that I prefer the Weber bullets.
>> Expensive up-front but they just work. Add a power-draft controller
>> and they just work like an appliance, set the temperature and go to
>> bed or whatever)
>
> Sounds like it's WAY out of my budget.

Indeed.  Not cheap, but in terms of pro-level bang-for-the-buck,
a Weber bullet with a controller (I use BBQ Guru products) can't
be beat.  Fuel efficiency is pretty amazing (as long as the cooker isn't
exposed to wind), I get 20-hour cooks out of one load of lump
briquettes.  The only limitation there is the capacity of the cooker
itself.

The important thing about BBQ is remembering it's not about
the equipment, it's about  the product.  I've had some pretty poor
BBQ  come out of some pretty expensive set-ups, and some outstanding
BBQ come out of a converted water tank or file cabinet.

> It's been in a container outside,
> bag rolled up to "close" it...and the humidity here can be anywhere
> between the 30% to 40% range in the Fall, to 99% or 100% (currently
> 91% as I type this).  So your explanation fits perfectly.  That's fine.
> As long as I know this much, I can deal with it.

Sometimes I'll open a fresh bag and put some fresh fuel in the bottom
of  the chimney and the older fuel on top.

> Thanks again for the info.

You're welcome - Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy the bird you smoked,
and rock on ;-)

Dana