Re: [CH] I tried a sauce - Maggi Teekha Masala

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:58:04 -0700

On 11-03-21 6:53 AM, Alex Silbajoris wrote:

> At the local Palestinian grocery, I saw this sauce on a markdown shelf. It's from India, "IMP. BY: HOS, NY, USA"
>
> I don't know what kind(s) of peppers they use, but it seems like a small amount of something strong. The heat takes a moment to hit, but once it's started it has a nice sustain. The first flavor is tomatoes and cumin, with a bit of sweetness.  This would be nice as a kebab grilling sauce.
>
> Ingredients:  Water, sugar, chili puree (12%) spices, tomato paste (4%) salt, acidity regulator (acetic acid)  Thickeners: modified corn starch, xanthan gum Preservative: sodium benzoate

Hi Alex...I do and always have done a fair amount of East Indian
cooking. Chicken Tikka Masala is one of the things I do. I have used
various East Indian recipes for this and found them all to be variations
of the same theme. The spices are cumin, ginger, cinnamon, chile powder,
fresh cracked black pepper. This is mixed with yogurt and tomato puree,
and cut up chicken pieces cooked in it.  Because it has no turmeric
(curcumin)it does not have the yellow color of an Indian curry(kari) nor
does it have the distinctive curry flavor imparted by the turmeric.
It is however a quite spicy tomato based dish, and as the East Indians
put yogurt in just about everything, it gets there also! This leaves me
with a problem, as I am lactose intolerant, and yogurt gives me problems
but can tolerate buttermilk...so guess what goes into MY version of
Tikka Masala! Use your purchase for a chicken dish and it will work
quite well.  Have fun!
Cheers,
Old Doug in BC