Re: [CH] I tried a sauce - Maggi Teekha Masala

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:35:12 -0400

For what it's worth, my home city of Glasgow claims to be the birthplace
of Tikka Masala - tikka, or spiced grilled meat, is as old as any Indian
food, but the legend goes that faced with an audience of Scots refusing
to eat any "curry" without sauce, an enterprising restaurant owner in
Glasgow put together yogurt, tomato soup, and garam masala to create the
now-ubiquitous gravy. A few years ago, an MP from Glasgow even
petitioned to have the city awarded EU protected-origin status (the same
thing that covers regional specialties like Champagne) for the dish - so
far, however, he has yet to get a hearing.

Take this story with as much salt as your diet can handle.

Jonathan