Re: [CH] I tried a sauce - Maggi Teekha Masala

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:56:40 -0700

On 11-03-21 12:30 PM, Brent Thompson wrote:
>> I am lactose intolerant, and yogurt gives me problems but can tolerate
>> buttermilk
> As I recall, yoghurt is supposed to have no lactose -- eaten up by the
> organisms.  It is famous for being ok for lactose-intolerant people.  You
> must be using a yoghurt that is still mostly fresh milk (like the most
> common commercial stuff available here in USA), not yet fermented enough to
> be sour and lactose-free.
>
> But buttermilk would have varying amounts of lactose, depending in part on
> whether cultured or not.  So I'd guess you're using a cultured buttermilk,
> perhaps one of the more sour, longer fermented ones.
>
>   ---   Brent

Correct,  Brent.

When I was about 12, and had been avoiding drinking milk, my mother
decided that I should drink this full glass of milk. My father, whom I
believe was somewhat the same way about milk, was sympathetic to me, but
said I should do it.  So, down the hatch! We were having supper in the
kitchen, which had a lino floor, not carpet like the dining room.  Well,
about 5 - 10 minutes later, whoosh! Up came the milk, all over the
floor.  My mother just looked at me and my father said with a grin, "
Guess that ends the milk!"   All through my growing up years, I could
not drink milk. I could eat ice cream, drink milk shakes, small ones.
But never plain milk, even chocolate milk.
Today we get Lactaid milk, and for the last few years have been also
able to get lactose free and sugar free ice cream! Wow! When I first
found that I was in 7th heaven!  Still able to have buttermilk, can even
drink it! But not yogurt, sour cream is even worse, I will gag on that
almost immediately.  So, for most of my 85 years I have avoided MILK!
And still here!!
Cheers,
Doug in BC