Re: [CH] Chile Sauce and growing Poblano questions

Sue Bonar (sbonar@nmsu.edu)
Tue, 17 May 2011 11:50:11 -0600

Hi Gard,
The way the red chile sauce is traditionally made here in Las Cruces, NM
is with the dried red chile pods. Yes they are boiled, mostly to soften
them up and reconstitute them a bit. You run them through the blender,
using the water you boiled them in to liquefy them in the blender as
needed. After that, I always run them through a conical shaped
contraption that is similar in function to a food mill, which separates
the skins and seeds out from the sauce. I don't remember what it's
called, but it's a necessity around here, and they always pop up in
stores during the chile season. You're right about skipping this step -
it leaves all the skin & seed pieces in the sauce, and for us, it's not
good.

While the red chile sauce from the dried pods is good, we really favor
the sauce made with fresh red chiles that have been roasted. The sauce
is made the same way, but you skip the boiling step. Just remove the
stems and throw them in the blender, then through the food mill.
Obviously there's a lot more 'meat' on the fresh chiles, and the flavor
is fantastic - it has a bit of sweetness to the heat that doesn't come
from the dried pods.

Hope that's helps you some!
Sue