Re: [CH] Chile Sauce and growing Poblano questions

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Tue, 17 May 2011 15:05:31 -0500

On 5/17/2011 12:50, Sue Bonar wrote:
> Hi Gard,
> The way the red chile sauce is traditionally made here in Las Cruces,
> NM is with the dried red chile pods. Yes they are boiled, mostly to
> soften them up and reconstitute them a bit. You run them through the
> blender, using the water you boiled them in to liquefy them in the
> blender as needed. After that, I always run them through a conical
> shaped contraption that is similar in function to a food mill, which
> separates the skins and seeds out from the sauce. I don't remember
> what it's called, but it's a necessity around here, and they always

It's called a chinois. Mine has a handle, hooks on the other side to
rest on the vessel being strained into, and a wooden pestle to aid in
pushing the material through.

Oddly enough there was a Chinese proverb at the bottom of this post. I
think chinois is French for Chinese.  :-D

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAAAAHHHHOOOOAAAAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider