Re: [CH] tough year in the garden

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:53:47 -0400

Well, a new garden pest this year here.  We have a Bobcat wandering
through the garden every couple of nights.  He doesn't munch on
anything, but he has stepped on a few chiles and other things.  His paws
are about 3 1/2 inches across, so we figure he is an adult male.  We
have a lot of Bobcat here, but this is the first one to play in the
garden.  I'm going to set up the game camera and see if we can get a
picture of him.

He seems to be heading to the sheep/horse barn and chicken coop, but he
is just looking so far.  We had a horse attacked by a cougar a few years
ago, she made it, but had 300 or so stitches.  She got in a few licks,
as we found cat fur and a a blood trail.

I may have to fence the garden this year, as we had 3 deer in the garden
next to the house in the middle of the day Monday, and a flock of about
30 wild turkeys wanders through the yard now and then.  We had a robin
pull and toss about 100 onion plants this Spring, too.

At least the coyotes seem to have eaten most of the rabbits (and a few
barn cats).

We have 1,100 chiles of 41 varieties in the ground and a few are
starting to take off.  We plant the first week of June.  We had a hard
frost May 27 this year, and that is about normal.  Now, if it will just
warm up!  High of 59 yesterday, but might make 70 today.

Hobby Farmer