Re: [CH] Non-Fruiting Habaneros

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Sat, 05 Jun 1999 09:28:11 -0700

Marshall Williams wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  Just one question - do the poblanos need to be
> roasted and peeled like New Mex peppers?

I don't, but they certainly can be.  I've seen recipes for chiles
rellenos using roasted and peeled poblanos.  I've never used
New Mexico chiles.  I use Anaheim chiles, which are apparently
closely related to New Mexico chiles.  I don't usually roast and
peel them either...though I do for some uses.

> ... I also assume that they can be
> used green for stuffing like bells (or in salads, etc.) but should be
> ripened to a red for chile.

Stuffed poblano chiles? You bet.  Mmmmm, mmm...good stuff!  And,
yes...ripe and red for drying and grinding or for making red chile
sauces and moles.  I have, however, used 'em green for making green
chile sauce and tomatilla based sauces.

Unfortunately, I've never been very sucessfully at growing poblanos.
The yeild isn't worth the space and effort..could be a micro-climate
problem or maybe a soil composition problem.  But, they're available
in the local supermarkets year round at a fairly stable and reasonable
price (99 cents to a dollar-fifty per pound), so I don't go without.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://members.cts.com/crash/m/macknet/