Re: [CH] Non-fruiting habaneros

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:06:59 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Jim Campbell wrote:

> We typically have days here called the double 90's- 90F & 90% humidity.
> When the wind blows, you can hear the blossoms hitting the plastic
> mulching like rain.  Most chiles (& especially large leaffed ones like
> habs) need some afternoon shade during very warm times.  The difference
> in growth between partially shaded chiles and scorched chiles is
> dramatic.  This 'discovery' has also been recently backed up by the
> Internation Chile Pepper Institute.

Not to mention the Carp Family Singers School Of Garden Edumacation.  I
thought it was common wisdom to put a veggie garden where the mid
afternoon/late summer sun was shaded.  My veggie garden/pepper patch is
this way, and for all of my yard pots I've calculated an azimuth bearing
to ensure that right about the time the leaves collapse from heat stress
the sun is off of them.  I know the heat-stress collapse is natural, but
I've always fretted when it occurs because it just looks so severe.

On a side note, I've enjoyed reading the list again but on Tuesday we'll
be out of here for a month on the road.  I would like to think we'll be
able to find the peppers amidst the weeds when we get back, but even more
so I would like to hope the crow that is pulling up 2-5 chile plants a
day dies a horrible cat-induced death.

Man, that guy is cocky.  We'll walk up there and he'll just leave the
garden for the nearest tree branch and watch us reset the plants.  I've
got a pellet gun but isn't that a federal offense?

carp