Re: [CH] thick tongues

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:56:04 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Calvin Donaghey wrote:

> David, et al- Huckypucky!  I first started eating chiles because of
> severe allergies.  The peppers cleared my head for a while and helped
> me breathe.  Very soon I realized the chiles ENHANCED my taste
> capacity, maybe by improving the connection between olfactory and
> thinkfactory---I don't know.  Even though my allergies are under
> better control now, chiles still enhance flavors and my ability to
> taste and smell.

I used to have really bad maple-tree reactions in the spring and goldenrod
and mold allergies in the fall.  I quit smoking which lowered the severity
of the outbreaks by about 1/2.  Then, 5 years ago I started eating some
kind of fresh chiles at least once a day.  Since then I've had two bad
colds/sinuitis eruptions and one mild case of brohchitis, with the
bronchitis and one cold striking since I started teaching in a middle
school last fall.

I took my lunch every day and even if it was just fresh-diced jalapenos in
chciken-noodle soup I had a noon-dosage.  I did the same for cream of
chicken when I would space out making a weekly pot of cream-of-pepper/
vegetable-broth-and-pepper or broth-pepper-noodle soup on sunday night.
I've already planned out what to do with this year's TAM pickings,
assuming the crow or weather doesn't get them.  I'll dehydrate them until
they are hard then grind them to powder. Adding salt and a few dehydrated
onions and garlic should give me a good veggie broth base.  Then I'll toss
in anything I can find from the markets. We've had real good luck finding
poblanos which make a real good soup pepper.

Um, I got off track.  I'm fairly certain the high Vitamin C content of
peppers combined with the physiological effects (internal sauna) help the
immune system fight off allergies.

carp