[CH] Blackberry sauce

Jim Weller (Jim.Weller@salata.com)
08 Jun 99 23:24:46 -0800

 -=> Quoting BTARPLEY@dscc.cc.tn.us to All <=-

 BT> I have seen a recipe for a hot blackberry sauce for use on cheesecake
 BT> somewhere.  The only two ingredients I remember are habs and
 BT> blackberry  brandy.  Anyone else seen this recipe?

I couldn't find a recipe like that but did stumble across two others
that use both some kind of alcohol and spices. Perhaps you could use one
as a base for exploration with some hab powder. If you choose the second
one I would skip the black pepper and the meat juices if its gonna end
up on a cheesecake. <G>

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Ron's Blackberry Syrup
 Categories: British, Fruits, Preserving, Sauces, Desserts
      Yield: 1 servings

      1 kg Blackberries, ripe-n-juicy
      1 kg Sugar crushed, or preserving
     15 ml Water
    125 ml Brandy
      1 pn Ginger

  Prepare the fruit. Place the fruit, sugar, ginger and water in a
  heatproof dish or bowl. Stand the bowl over a sauce pan which contains
  simmering water and cook gently until all the delicious juice flows
  freely. Strain all the juice from the fruit into a warm dish and
  measure it. Pour it into a preserving pan and bring it to the boil.
  Cook gently for 20 minutes, skimming off the syrup as you go. Leave it
  to cool. Add the brandy. Bottle it up leaving around 3/4 inch gap at
  the top of each jar/bottle.

  Preserving method No.1...Traditional! Place the bottle/jars in a
  saucepan of cold water which has a thick pad of newspaper on the
  bottom. Wedge crumpled foil between each jar or bottle so they can't
  fall over or tip. Heat the water to around 77c./170f. and keep it at
  that temperature for 30 minutes. Remove bottle/jars from the water
  and place on a wooden board. Screw on the tops straight away. Allow
  to cool, then store, after labeling, in a cool, dark, dry cupboard.

  Preserving method No.2.  Easy:) Freezing is an easier method of
  storage. Pour the syrup into trays or other suitable containers and
  freeze after labeling.

  Black currents can also be made into syrup using the above method. To
  eat....Trickle it over ice-cream, pancakes....